Place:


Bronllys  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bronllys like this:

BRONLLYS, Broynllis, or Brynllys, a village and a parish in the district and county of Brecon. The village stands on the river Llyfni, adjacent to the Hereford and Brecon railway, 7 miles SW of Hay; and has a post office under Hereford. The parish comprises 2,109 acres. Real property, £2,597. ...


Pop., 305. Houses, 70. A ruined castle here has been thought by some to be of Phœnician origin, and prodigiously old; but was really a structure of the 13th century, built after the model of the round tower of Pembroke Castle; and belonged to successively the Cliffords, the Giffords, the De Bohuns, the Staffords, the Crown, the Williamses, the Lewises, and the Davieses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £174. Patron, W. D. Wilkins, Esq. The church has some Norman windows and a detached bell tower. Charities, £7.

Bronllys through time

Bronllys is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bronllys itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bronllys, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1520

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bronllys ".