Place:


Stretton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stretton like this:

STRETTON, a township and a chapelry in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire. The township lies 3½ miles S by E of Warrington r. station. Acres, 1,118. Real property, £3,420. Pop., 373. Houses, 70. The manor belongs to N. D. Milner, Esq.—The chapelry was constituted in 1833; and it has a post-office under Warrington. Pop., 833. Houses, 159. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £180. Patron, T. H. Lyon, Esq. The church was built in 1827. There is a national school.

Stretton through time

Stretton is now part of Warrington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warrington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stretton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stretton, in Warrington and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1516

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stretton ".