Place:


Hoggeston  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hoggeston like this:

HOGGESTON, or HOGSTON, a parish in Winslow district, Bucks; near the Buckinghamshire railway, 3½ miles SE of Winslow r. station. Post town, Winslow. Acres, 1, 526. Real property, £2, 946. Pop., 207. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Stanhope. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £280. * Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; has a wooden tower; and contains a mutilated effigies, thought to be of William de Bermingham, who, in the 14th century, founded a chantry here.

Hoggeston through time

Hoggeston is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hoggeston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hoggeston, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1493

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hoggeston ".