Place:


Farnham Royal  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnham Royal like this:

FARNHAM-ROYAL, a village in Eton district, and a parish partly also in Amersham district, Bucks. The village lies near the Great Western railway, 2 miles NNW of Slough r. station, and 4 N of Windsor; and has a post office under Slough. The parish includes also the chapelry of Seer-Green, the hamlet of Hedgerley-Dean, and part of the village of Salt Hill. ...


Acres, 2, 910. Real property, £6, 710. Pop., 1, 378. Houses, 283. The manor belonged to the Verdons, the Furnivals, and the Talbots; was held by the service of finding a glove for the king's right hand at his coronation; and belongs now to the crown. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, 600.* Patron, Eton College. The church is an ill-looking structure; and contains a monument to Eustace Mascall, and the remains of Bishop Chandler and J. Bryant. The vicarage of Seer-Green is a separate benefice. A school is aided by a legacy; a church estate yields £85; and other charities have £5.

Farnham Royal through time

Farnham Royal is now part of South Bucks district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bucks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farnham Royal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnham Royal, in South Bucks and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1487

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farnham Royal ".