Place:


Norley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norley like this:

NORLEY, a village and a township-chapelry in Frodsham parish, Cheshire. The village stands near Delamere forest, 2¾ miles W S W of Acton r. station, and 4½ S E of Frodsham; is a scattered place; and has a post-office under Preston-Brook. The chapelry comprises 1, 367acres. Real property, £3, 303. ...


Pop., 728. Houses, 145. The manor belongs to A. H. S. Barry, Esq. Norley House is the seat of the Hon. A. Lascelles; and Norley Hall, of S. Woodhouse, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £64. Patron, S. Woodhouse, Esq. The church was built in 1832, repaired and improved in 1863; and is in the pointed style, with a pinnacled tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and United Free Methodists, and an endowed churchschool.

Norley through time

Norley is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norley, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1483

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norley ".