Place:


Sheringham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sheringham like this:

SHERINGHAM, two villages and a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk. The villages are Lower S. and Upper S., and have each a post-office under Norfolk. Lower S. stands on cliffs of the coast, 4½ miles W by N of Cromer, and 12 NW of North Walsham r. station; is supplied with water from a reservoir formed in 1862; carries on a considerable fishery; and has a harbour excavated out of a cliff, curing-houses, about 173 boats, a coastguard station, a lifeboat, a mariners' chapel, and a reading room. ...


Upper S. stands 1½ mile SSW of Lower S., and contains the church. The parish comprises 2,181 acres of land, and 175 of water. Real property, £3,337. Pop., 1,289. Houses, 299. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to H. R. Upcher, Esq. A black priory, a cell to Nutley abbey, was founded here in the time of Henry II. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £70. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is early and later English, and was repaired in 1851. There are a school, and charities £21.

Sheringham through time

Sheringham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sheringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheringham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/148

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sheringham ".