Place:


Wargrave  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wargrave like this:

WARGRAVE, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Berks. The village stands on the river Thames, and on the Henley railway, 2 miles N by W of Twyford r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Henley, an inn, and a ferry.—The parish includes part of Knowl-Hill chapelry, and comprises 4,314 acres. ...


Real property, £12,002; of which £29 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,806. Houses, 343. The manor belongs to Lord Braybrooke. W. Court is the seat of W. Holmes, Esq.; W. Lodge, of MissAusten; and W. Hill was the residence of Cowper's friend, J. Hill The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £226.* Patron, Lord Braybrooke. The church is good; and there are endowed schools with £241 a year, and charities £55. Derham, the author of "Physico-Theology," was vicar; and Lord Barrymore was a resident.—The sub-district contains three parishes, parts of another, and an extra-parochial tract; and is in Wokingham district. Acres, 19,119. Pop., 6,658. Houses, 1,344.-The hundred contains three parishes. Acres, 16,207. Pop., 4,940. Houses, 938.

Wargrave through time

Wargrave is now part of Wokingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wokingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wargrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wargrave, in Wokingham and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1469

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wargrave ".