Place:


Llangwm  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangwm like this:

LLANGWM, a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth; on an affluent of the river Usk, 3½ miles E of Usk r. station. It is cut into two divisions, Icha and Ucha; and its Post town is Usk, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 3,159. Real property of L. Icha, £731; of L. Ucha, £2,309. Pop. ...


of L. Icha, 57; of L. Ucha, 328. Houses, 9 and 62. The property of L. Icha is diVided among a few; and that of L. Ucha is much subdivided. A small monastery, a cell to Lira abbey in Normandy, was founded in the parish in 1183. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £83. * Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Hierom; is early decorated English; comprises fine nave and chancel, with a handsome tower on the chancel N side; presents features of unusual interest; was restored in 1860; and contains an elaborately carved rood-loft and screen. The parish has a share in Usk endowed school.

Llangwm through time

Llangwm is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangwm itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangwm in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14568

Date accessed: 18th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangwm ".