In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lothersdale like this:
LOTHERSDALE, a hamlet in Carlton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Kildwick parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies 5 miles SW of Skipton r. station and has a post office under Leeds. The chapelry was con stituted in 1 840. Pop. in 1861,819. Houses, 170. Pop. of the Carlton portion, 626. Houses, 130. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Carlton. The church was built in 1838. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lothersdale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Craven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lothersdale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lothersdale, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lothersdale".