Place:


Whixall  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whixall like this:

WHIXHALL, a chapelry, with a village, in Prees parish, Salop; 1½ mile W by N of Prees r. station, and 4 N by E of Wem. It has a post-office under Whitchurch-. Pop., 978. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield-Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Prees. The church was reported in 1859 as bad. There is an Independent chapel.

Whixall through time

Whixall is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whixall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whixall in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14534

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whixall ".