Place:


Tong  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tong like this:

TONG, a parish, with a village, in Shiffnal district, Salop; 3 miles E of Shiffnal r. station. It has a post-office under Shiffnal. Acres, 3,464. Real property, £6,680. Pop., 532. Houses, 110. The manor, with T. Castle, belonged formerly to the Durants, and belongs now to the Earl of Bradford. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £83.* Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church was rebuilt in 1410, and then made collegiate. There are endowed schools with £50 a year, alms houses with £24, and other charities £100.

Tong through time

Tong is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tong itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tong, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14533

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tong ".