Place:


Bickerstaffe  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bickerstaffe like this:

BICKERSTAFFE, a township-chapelry. and a subdistrict in the district of Ormskirk, Lancashire. The chapelry is in Ormskirk parish; lies on the Ormskirk and St. Helen's railway, near Blague-Gate station, 3½ miles SE of Ormskirk; was constituted in 1843; and has a post office under Ormskirk. ...


Acres, 6,353. Real property, £10,733; of which £1,320 are in mines. Pop., 1,637. Houses, 289. The property is divided among a few. The township gives the title of Baron to the Earl of Derby. Many of the inhabitants are colliers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is good. The subdistrict includes also two other townships and two other parishes. Acres, 11,335. Pop., 2,826. Houses, 485

Bickerstaffe through time

Bickerstaffe is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bickerstaffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bickerstaffe in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14522

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bickerstaffe ".