Place:


Woolley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woolley like this:

WOOLLEY, a chapelry, with a village, in Roystone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile ENE of Haigh r. station, and 5½ S by W of Wakefield. It has a post-office under Wakefield. Acres, 2,569. Real property, £5,053; of which £1,161 are in mines. Pop., 531. Houses, 108. W. Park is the seat of G. Wentworth, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £200. Patron, G. Wentworth, Esq. The church is later English. There are an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £9.

Woolley through time

Woolley is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woolley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woolley, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14495

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woolley ".