Place:


Kingston Lisle  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingston Lisle like this:

KINGSTON-LISLE, a village and a chapelry in Sparsholt parish, Berks. The village stands near the Ridge-way, and near the Wilts and Berks canal, 2¾ miles S W of Challow r. station, and 4½ W of Wantage; and has a post office under Wantage. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Fawler. ...


Acres, 2, 060. Real property, £3, 186. Pop., 370. Houses, 73. The manor, with Kingston-Lisle House, belongs to E. M. Atkins, Esq. The Blowing stone, near the village, measures about 3½ feet in breadth, 2 in width, and 3 in height; is pierced, on each side, with holes; and, on being hastily blown into at any of the holes, emits a sound which can be heard at a distance of 6 miles. It is a kind of red sandstone; and is traditionally said to have formerly been used for giving alarm on the approach of an enemy. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Sparsholt, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is old, has a small tower, and was restored in 1865.

Kingston Lisle through time

Kingston Lisle is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingston Lisle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston Lisle, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1449

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingston Lisle ".