Place:


Wold Newton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wold Newton like this:

NEWTON-WOLD, a parish in Bridlington parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the Wolds, 4 miles S W of Hunmanby r. station, and 8½ W N W of Bridlington. Post-town, Bridlington, under Hull. Acres, 1, 960. Real property, £3, 307. Pop. in 1851, 276; in 1861, 351. Houses, 70. The surface is a diversity of hill and dale. There is acopious spring, called the Gipsey well. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £113. Patron, Viscount Downe. The church is ancient, and was repaired in 1839. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowednational school with £20 a year.

Wold Newton through time

Wold Newton is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wold Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wold Newton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14489

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wold Newton ".