Place:


Wistow  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wistow like this:

WISTOW, a parish, with a village, in Selby district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles NW by N of Selby r. station. It has a post-office under Selby. Acres, 3,870. Real property, £7,327. Pop., 849. Houses, 185. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £30.

Wistow through time

Wistow is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wistow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wistow, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14484

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wistow ".