Place:


Inkpen  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Inkpen like this:

INKPEN, a village and a parish in Hungerford district, Berks. The village stands among hills, near the river Auborn and the boundaries with Wilts and. Hants, 3¼ miles SW of Kintbury r. station, and 3¼ SE by S of Hungerford; and has a post office under Hungerford. The parish comprises 2, 850 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 524. Pop., 748. Houses, 164. The property is much subdivided. The manor., with much of the land. belongs to the Earl of Craven. Kirby House is the seat of John Butler, Esq. Inkpen Beacon is a chalk down, the loftiest in England; has an altitude of 1, 011 feet above sea level; and commands a very extensive and fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £520. * Patron, John Butler, Esq. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave and chancel, with low square tower; and contains monuments of the Butlers. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £25.

Inkpen through time

Inkpen is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inkpen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inkpen in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1448

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inkpen ".