Place:


Wilton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilton like this:

WILTON, a township-chapelry, with two hamlets, in Kirk-Leatham parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 4¼ miles S of Redcar r. station. Post town, Redcar. Acres, 6,928; of which 1,858 are water. Rated property, £5,735. Pop. in 1851, 518; in 1861, 927. Houses, 179. The increase of pop. arose from extension of mining operations. The property is subdivided. The manor, with W. Castle, belongs to SirH. Lowther, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £247.* Patron, SirH. Lowther, Bart. The church is not good.

Wilton through time

Wilton is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilton, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14478

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilton ".