Place:


Leftwich  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leftwich like this:

LEFTWICH, a township in Davenham parish, Cheshire; on the river Dane, and extending 1½ mile S of Northwich. Acres, 972. Real property, £8,147. Pop., 2,627. Houses, 559. The manor belonged anciently to the Vernous, as part of the barony of Shipbrook; passed to the Wilbrahams and the De Winningtons; and belongs now to John H. ...


Harper, Esq. of Davenliam Hall. Leftwich Old Hall is now occupied by T. Dean, Esq.; and Brockhurst Hall is the seat of W. Worthington, Esq. Salt is extensively manufactured; and the building of boats and flats is largely carried on. Danebridge church, national schools, an infant school, and Northwich workhouse are here. The church was built in 1849, at a cost of £2,300; and is in the early English style. The national schools are a brick building, and have capacity for about 120 scholars. The workhouse, at the census of 1861, had 110 inmates.

Leftwich through time

Leftwich is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leftwich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leftwich, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1447

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leftwich ".