Wighill  West Riding


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wighill like this:

WIGHILL, a parish, with a village, in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2¾ miles N by W of Tadcaster r. station. Post town, Tadcaster. Acres, 2,588. Real property, £3,565. Pop., 280. Houses, 58. The manor, with W. Park, belongs to A. Montagu, Esq. Brook Hall is the seat of the Dawsons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £150. Patron, A. Montagu, Esq. The church is Norman. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Wighill through time

Wighill is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wighill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wighill, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wighill ".