Whixley  West Riding


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whixley like this:

WHIXLEY, a village and a township in Great Ouseburn district, and a parish partly also in Kirk-Deighton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1¾ mile N of Cattal r. station, and 6 SE by S of Boroughbridge; and has a post-office under York. The township comprises 2,210 acres. Real property, £4,369. ...

Pop., 605. Houses, 125.—The parish contains two other townships, and comprises 3,470 acres. Pop., 954. Houses, 203. W. manor belongs to the governors of Tancred's hospital; and Green Hammerton manor, to R. H. Farrer, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £116.* Patrons, the Heirs-at-Law of the lateTancred, Esq. The church is early decorated English. There are four dissenting chapels, a parochial school, Tancred's hospital for 12 decayed gentlemen, and other charities £40.

Whixley through time

Whixley is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whixley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whixley, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 24th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whixley ".