Place:


Whiston  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whiston like this:

WHISTON, a parish, with a village and seven hamlets, in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles SE of Rotherham r. station. It has a post-office under Rotherham. Acres, 3,190. Real property, £8,123. Pop. in 1851, 1,050; in 1861, 1,185. Houses, 276. The property is much subdivided. Oakwood House is the seat of J. Yates, Esq. There are several neat villas. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £750.* Patron, the Earl of Effingham. The church is later English modernized. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £28.

Whiston through time

Whiston is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whiston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whiston, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14458

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whiston ".