Place:


Wensley  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wensley like this:

WENSLEY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Leyburn district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ure, 1½ mile SW of Leyburn r. station; gives the name of Wensleydale to the Ure's valley from its head down to Jervaux abbey; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Bedale, and a three-arched bridge. ...


The township comprises 1,968 acres. Real property, £2,895. Pop., 318. Houses, 61.—The parish includes Leyburn, Preston-under-Scar, Redmire, and Castle-Bolton townships; and comprises 14,281 acres. Pop. in 1851, 2,105; in 1861, 2,337. Houses, 449. The manor belongs to Lord Bolton. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £1,337.* Patron, Lord Bolton. The church is of different periods, and handsome. The p. curacy of Castle-Bolton-with-Redmire is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel of 1865, Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £70.

Wensley through time

Wensley is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wensley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wensley, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14445

Date accessed: 27th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wensley ".