Place:


Upleatham  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upleatham like this:

UPLEATHAM, a township and a parish in Guisbrough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles S of Marske r. station, and has a post-office under Redcar. Acres, 1,378. Real property, £2,620. Pop. in 1851, 274; in 1861, 521. Houses, 117. The parish includes also part of Redcar township; and had, in 1851, a pop. ...


of 447,-in 1861, a pop. of 1,007. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the opening of ironstone mines. The manor belonged to Siward the Dane; passed to Hugh Lupus, the Bruces, the Fauconbergs, and others; and, with U. Hall, belongs now to the Earl of Zetland. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £85. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1835. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Upleatham through time

Upleatham is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upleatham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upleatham, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14405

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upleatham ".