Place:


Tinsley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tinsley like this:

TINSLEY, a township-chapelry in Rotherham parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles SW by S of Rotherham r. station. Post town, Rotherham. Acres, 1,623. Real property, £10,883; of which £6,310 are in mines. Pop., 697. Houses, 125. The manor belongs to Earl Fitz-william. Coal is largely worked; and there are steel rolling-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £124. Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is old, and was enlarged in 1838.

Tinsley through time

Tinsley is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tinsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tinsley, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14386

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tinsley ".