Place:


Thurgoland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurgoland like this:

THURGOLAND, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Silkstone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles NNE of Wortley r. station, and 5 SW of Barnsley. It has a post-office under Sheffield. Acres, 2,080. Real property, £6,122; of which £1,777 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,548; in 1861, 1,783. ...


Houses, 356. The manor belongs to the Earl of Scarborough. Coal is worked; and charcoaland steel wire are made. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Silkstone. The church was built in 1842. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Thurgoland through time

Thurgoland is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurgoland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurgoland, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14380

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thurgoland ".