Place:


Thornton Steward  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton Steward like this:

THORNTON-STEWARD, a parish in Leyburn district, N. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles S of Finghall-Lane r. station, and 6½ WSW of Bedale. It has a post-office under Bedale. Acres, 2,079. Real property, £3,577. Pop., 253. Houses, 47. The manor belongs to Lord Bolton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £234.* Patron, the Bishop of R. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.

Thornton Steward through time

Thornton Steward is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornton Steward itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton Steward, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14360

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornton Steward ".