Place:


West Hendred  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Hendred like this:

HENDRED (WEST or LITTLE), a parish in Wantage district, Berks; on a small affluent of the river Thames, 3 miles SW by S of Steventon r. station, and 3¼ E of Wantage. It includes the tythings of East Ginge and Sparsholt Court; and its post town is East Hendred under Wantage. Acres, 1, 973. Real property, £3, 078. Pop., 351. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £751.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church has an embattled tower, and is good.

West Hendred through time

West Hendred is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Hendred itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Hendred, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1436

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Hendred ".