Place:


Thornton in Craven  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton in Craven like this:

THORNTON-IN-CRAVEN, a parish, with a village and four townships, in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Skipton and Burnley railway, 6 miles SW of Skipton. It has a post-office under Skipton, and a r. station. Acres, 6,710. Real property, £8,996; of which £200 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 2,112. Houses, 422. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in The diocese of Ripon. Value, £250.* Patron, the Rev. L. S. Morris. The church is old. The p. curacy of Kelbrook is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and alms houses with £60.

Thornton in Craven through time

Thornton in Craven is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornton in Craven itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton in Craven, in Pendle and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14351

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornton in Craven ".