Place:


Grappenhall  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grappenhall like this:

GRAPPENHALL, a township and a parish in the district of Warrington and county of Chester. The township lies on the Bridgewater canal, near the North-western railway and the river Mersey, 2¾ miles SE by S of Warrington; and has a post office under Warrington. Acres, 1, 540. Real property, £5, 566. ...


Pop., 701. Houses, 139. The parish includes also the township of Latchford, and contains 2, 550 acres. Real property, £14, 438. Pop., 3, 586. Houses, 712. The property is subdivided. G. Hall and the Heys are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £542.* Patron, the Rev. T. Greenall. The church was built in 1539. The two vicarages of Latchford are separate benefices. There two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £18.

Grappenhall through time

Grappenhall is now part of Warrington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warrington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grappenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grappenhall, in Warrington and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1435

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grappenhall ".