Place:


Tankersley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tankersley like this:

TANKERSLEY, a township and a parish in Wortley district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies ¾ of a mile W of Westwood r. station, and 4½ S of Barnsley; and contains Pilley hamlet and Thorncliffe iron-works and collieries. Acres, 2,420. Real property, £14,725; of which £11,571 are in mines, £10 in quarries, and £100 in iron-works. ...


Pop. in 1851, 833; in 1861, 1,403. Houses, 259. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of a new colliery. T. manor belongs to Earl Fitz-william; and Pilley manor to Lord Wharncliffe.—The parish includes also Wortley township, which has a post-office under Sheffield. Acres of the parish, 8,404. Pop., 2,524. Houses, 476. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £475.* Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is Norman. The p. curacy of Wortley is a separate benefice. There is a national school.

Tankersley through time

Tankersley is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tankersley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tankersley, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14325

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tankersley ".