Place:


West Tanfield  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Tanfield like this:

TANFIELD (West), a parish, with three villages, in the district of Ripon and N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ure, 4½ miles WNW of Melmerby-Junction r. station, and 6 NW by N of Ripon. It has a post-office under Bedale. Acres, 3,139. Real property, £3,994. Pop., 623. Houses, 144. An old seat of the Marmious is here; and a handsome bridge spans the Ure. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £416.* Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church was restored in 1860. There are an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £25.

West Tanfield through time

West Tanfield is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Tanfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Tanfield, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14324

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Tanfield ".