Place:


Swinefleet  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swinefleet like this:

SWINEFLEET, or Swinfleet, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Goole district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, 2½ miles ESE of Goole r. station; and has a post-office under Howden. The chapelry comprises 2,445 acres, and is in Whitgift parish. Real property, £6,742; of which £20 are in gasworks. ...


Pop., 1,149. houses, 292. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £220. Patron, the Incumbent of Whitgift. The church is old. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and charities £35.—The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 17,303. Pop., 4,042. houses, 936.

Swinefleet through time

Swinefleet is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swinefleet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swinefleet, in East Riding of Yorkshire and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14317

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swinefleet ".