Place:


Swillington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swillington like this:

SWILLINGTON, a parish in Hunslet district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles NNE of Woodlesford r. station, and 5 E by S of Leeds. It includes part of Astley hamlet, and has a post-office under Leeds. Acres, 2,760. Real property, £8,243; of which £2,700 are in mines. Pop., 662. Houses, 138. ...


The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to SirH. Lowther, Bart. Leventhorpe Hall is the seat of J. T. Leather, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £510.* Patron, SirH. Lowther, Bart. The church is early English, with a Tudor tower. There are an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £16.

Swillington through time

Swillington is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swillington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swillington, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14314

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swillington ".