In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stockton on the Forest like this:
STOCKTON-ON-THE-FOREST, a parish, with a village, in the district of York and N. R Yorkshire; adjacent to the York and Market-Weighton railway, 5 miles NE of York. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under York. Acres, 3,270. Rated property, £1,778. Pop., 449. Houses, 95. The manor belongs to J. Agar, Esq. S. Hall, Brockfield, and Hazel-Bush are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £250.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stockton on the Forest has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of York. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stockton on the Forest and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stockton on the Forest, in York and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stockton on the Forest".