Place:


Staveley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staveley like this:

STAVELEY, a parish, with a village, in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles NNE of Knaresborough r. station. It has a post-office under York. Acres, 1,240. Real property, £2,488. Pop., 343. Houses, 75. Loftus Hilland Spellow Hill are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £354.* Patron, the Rev. J. B. Hartley. The church was built in 1864; and is in the early English style, with tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £15.

Staveley through time

Staveley is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staveley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staveley, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14282

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staveley ".