Place:


Startforth  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Startforth like this:

STARTFORTH, a township and a parish in the district of Teesdale and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Tees, 1 mile S of Barnard-Castle r. station. Acres, 938. Pop., 565. Houses, 103. The parish includes two other townships,-Boldron and Egglestone Abbey,-and comprises 3,060 acres. ...


Post town, Barnard-Castle. Real property, £4,330. Pop., 802. Houses, 161. The property is much subdivided. S. Halland Lower S. Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. A new church, in the early decorated style, was built in 1863. There is a national school.

Startforth through time

Startforth is now part of Teesdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teesdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Startforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Startforth, in Teesdale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14281

Date accessed: 21st August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Startforth ".