Place:


South Stainley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Stainley like this:

STAINLEY (South), a parish in Ripon district, W. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile S by E of Wormald-Green r. station, and 5½ S of Ripon. It includes Cayton hamlet, and has a post-office under Leeds. Acres, 1,800. Real property, £3,054; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop., 259. Houses, 46. S. House andHall are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £119. Patron, Mrs. R. Reynard. The church is modern: and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

South Stainley through time

South Stainley is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Stainley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Stainley, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14268

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Stainley ".