Place:


North Stainley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Stainley like this:

STAINLEY (North), a township and a chapelry in Ripon parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ure, 2¾ miles W of Wath r. station, and 4 NNW of Ripon; and bears the name of N.-S. with Slenningford. Acres, 4,114. Real property, £5,308. Pop., 445. Houses 85. Ripon episcopal palace, North Stainley Hall, Slenningford Hall, Old S. ...


Hall, Breckamoor, and the Grange are chief residences. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Post town, Ripon. Pop., 514. Houses, 101. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of R. The church was built in 1842.

North Stainley through time

North Stainley is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Stainley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Stainley, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14267

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Stainley ".