Place:


Stainforth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainforth like this:

STAINFORTH, a township in Hatfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Don and the Keadby canal, 3½ miles WSW of Thorne. It contains the hamlet and r. station of Sand-Bramwith; has a post-office under Doncaster, a chapel of ease, and three dissenting chapels; and carries on boat-building. Acres, 4,947. Real property, £5,097. Pop, in 1851, 881; in 1861, 751. Houses, 202.

Stainforth through time

Stainforth is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainforth, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14265

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainforth ".