Place:


Stainbrough  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainbrough like this:

STAINBROUGH, a township-chapelry, with four hamlets, in Silkstone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles ESE of Silkstone r. station, and 3 SW of Barnsley. Post town, Barnsley. Acres, 1,692. Real property, £4,436 of which £2,000 are in mines. Pop., 470. Houses, 98. The manor, with Wentworth Castle, belongs to F. W. Wentworth, Esq. A Roman settlement was here. The living is a donative in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £120. Patron, F. W. Wentworth, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1841. There is an endowed school with £40 a year.

Stainbrough through time

Stainbrough is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainbrough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainbrough, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14263

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainbrough ".