Place:


Sowerby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sowerby like this:

SOWERBY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Thirsk parish, N. R. Yorkshire; within Thirsk borongh, and adjacent on the SE to Thirsk r. station. It has a post-office under Thirsk. Acres, 2,528. Real property, £7,044. Pop. in 1851, 1,079; in 1861, 1,248. Houses, 296. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £331.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is partly Norman. There are a national school, and charities £8.

Sowerby through time

Sowerby is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sowerby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sowerby, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14252

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sowerby ".