Place:


Great Smeaton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Smeaton like this:

SMEATON (Great), a township in Northallerton district, and a parish partly also in Darlington district, but all in N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Tees, 2¼ miles ENE of Cowton r. station, and 7 N by W of Northallerton. Acres, 3,315. Real property, £2,588. Pop., 208. ...


Houses, 49. The parish contains also the chapelry of Appleton-upon-Wiske, which has a post-office under Northallerton, the township of Hornby, and part of the t. of Croft; and comprises 1,192 acres. Pop., 927. Houses, 221. The property is divided among a few. The surface commands fine views. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ripon, united with Appleton-upon-Wiske, in the diocese of York. Value, £700.* Patron, the Rev. S. Tenison Mosse. The church is ancient. There is a national school.

Great Smeaton through time

Great Smeaton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Smeaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Smeaton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14240

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Smeaton ".