Place:


Skelton on Ure  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skelton on Ure like this:

SKELTON, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Ripon parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ure, 2½ miles WNW of Borough bridge r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of S.-on-Ure, under Ripon. Acres, 879. Real property, £2,516. Pop., 282. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £90.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of R. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Skelton on Ure through time

Skelton on Ure is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skelton on Ure itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skelton on Ure, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14225

Date accessed: 18th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skelton on Ure ".