Place:


Sitlington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sitlington like this:

SHITLINGTON, a township, with four villages, in Thornhill parish, W. R. Yorkshire; in the vale of the Calder, 1½ mile SW of Horbury r. station, and 5¾ SW by W of Wakefield. Acres, 3,409. Real property, £10,732; of which £3,780 are in mines, £15 in quarries, and £210 in railways. Pop., 2,022. Houses, 408. Coal is extensive1y worked; and the woollen manufacture is carried on. There are two Wesleyan chapels.

Sitlington through time

Sitlington is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sitlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sitlington, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14218

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sitlington ".