Place:


Compton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton like this:

COMPTON, a parish and a hundred in Berks. The parish bears also the name of Compton-Parva; is in Wantage district; and lies on Icknield-street, around Compton-Down, near Blewberry plain, 2 miles SE by E of East Ilsley, and 4½ WSW of Goring r. station. It has a post office under Newbury. ...


Acres, 3, 795. Real property, £4, 690. Pop., 590. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. A large Roman town is thought to have stood on the ground around the church; and a circular camp, formed by the ancient British, afterwards occupied by the Romans, and now called Perborough Castle, is on a neighbouring eminence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £270.* Patron, J. T. Wasey, Esq. The church is Norman and good. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.-The hundred contains also six other parishes. Acres, 16, 359. Pop., 2, 711. Houses, 538.

Compton through time

Compton is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1421

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton ".