Place:


Shipton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipton like this:

SHIPTON, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Market-Weighton parish, E. R. Yorkshire; near Londesborough r. station, and 2 miles NW of Market-Weighton. It has a post-office under Brough. Acres, 1,570. Real property, £2,429. Pop., 411. Houses, 104. The manor belongs to Lord Londesborough. The living is annexed to Market-Weighton. The church is ancient, and has a curious Norman door and a pinnacled tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed school with £8 a year.

Shipton through time

Shipton is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14208

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipton ".