Place:


Sharow  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sharow like this:

SHAROW, a township and a chapelry in Ripon parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies ½ a mile E of Ripon r. station. Acres, 671. Real property, £2, 681. Pop., 256. Houses, 44. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. The chapelry was constituted in 1829. Post-town, Ripon. Pop., 738. Houses, 145. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. The church is a handsome edifice, with a pinnacled tower; and there is a partially endowed Church school.

Sharow through time

Sharow is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sharow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sharow, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14204

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sharow ".