Place:


Shafton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shafton like this:

SHAFTON, a township, with a village, in Felkirk parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the Midland railway, 4¼ miles N E of Barnsley. Acres, 790. Real property, £1, 620; of which £474 are in mines. Pop., 224. Houses, 50. The manor belongs to G. S. Foljambe, Esq. There are several market gardens.

Shafton through time

Shafton is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shafton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shafton, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14202

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shafton ".