Place:


Sessay  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sessay like this:

SESSAY, a township and a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Northeastern railway, 5 miles S S E of Thirsk; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Thirsk. Pop., 320. Houses, 56. The parish contains also the township of Hutton-Sessay, and comprises 3, 666 acres. Rated property, £4,078. Pop., 456. Houses, 83. S. Hall is the seat of Viscount Downe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £600.* Patron, Viscount Downe. The church is good; and there are charities £21.

Sessay through time

Sessay is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sessay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sessay, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14196

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sessay ".